The laundry room or laundry area is invaluable for keeping our clothes clean yet we tend to neglect it. The washing machine, that appliance which makes your life easier every day, also needs some care and cleansing. You might be surprised by the idea that the washing machine needs washing. But when left unclean, mould can grow on the inside and turn your clothes smelly.
Today, resolve to give your laundry area your attention and a well-deserved tidying up. And let’s not forget to clean that all-important washing machine.
How to clean your laundry area
- Wash and replace your rugs.
- Wash and wipe the windows with a glass cleaner or a solution of water and liquid detergent.
- Vacuum the space around the washing machine: under it, behind and between the dryer.
- Wipe the walls, shelves and other surfaces with the detergent solution.
- To clean the grout between the tiles, apply baking soda, spray with a vinegar and water solution, and then scrub with a toothbrush.
- Mop the tile floors with an all-purpose cleaning solution or just water and liquid detergent.
How to clean your washing machine
After every wash:
- Once the washing is done, remove the clothes right away. Otherwise, mould might grow on the inside of the machine and transfer to your clothes.
- Wipe and clean the detergent and fabric softener dispensers.
- Leave the door open to allow the interior to dry completely.
Once a month:
- Check the rubber gaskets. Wipe them clean with a dry rag.
- Deep clean your washing machine by running it empty with just a cup of bleach.
- To get rid of lint build-up on your dryer, take out the dryer lint trap and wash it with water and mild dishwashing detergent.
- Don’t forget the exterior of your appliances. Make them shiny again by wiping them clean with a mild detergent solution.
Keep your laundry area clean with these easy steps and the improved room atmosphere might even induce you to like doing the laundry. It will no longer be a tiresome chore. Maintaining your washing machine will also ensure that it keeps turning out clean and fresh clothes and linen every time.