Removing stains from your carpet can be exhausting and arduous, even frustrating at times. Today, we give you carpet cleaning ideas on effectively getting rid of some of the most common stains, plus advice on making your carpet last and look great for a long time.
Guide to successful carpet stain removal:
- Use a dry white cloth to gently blot the spill. Continue dabbing gently until most of the liquid disappears. Take care not to rub the stain further into the carpet. If the spill has dried, lightly moisten the area with water before blotting.
- Next, if the stain is not completely gone, apply a mixture of one teaspoon lanolin-free, bleach-free dishwashing detergent and one cup of warm water. Apply onto the stain and resume blotting.
- Rinse the area by spraying lightly with water and blot again. Finally, allow to dry.
- For droppings stains, pick up any solids with an old spoon first before dealing with the stain itself.
- For urine stains, use the blotting method similar to juice stains. In cases where the stain already dried and was absorbed by the carpet, apply a cleaning solution and then blot until the stain is gone. One homemade cleaning solution you can use to neutralize the odor is a mixture of one part vinegar and two parts water.
- Next, clean up the stain by applying a solution of one teaspoon of the dishwashing detergent and one liter of water. Blot the stain lightly, and once the stain fades, spray the area with water to remove the cleaning solution residue and then blot again. Lastly, spray the area with water, then pile paper towels and a brick on top.
- Gently blot the liquid until most of it is absorbed by the dry white cloth or white paper towels. Collect any solids with an old spoon.
- Apply the dishwashing detergent solution or vinegar solution and patiently blot. Then, spray the area a few times with water, and blot until dry.
- Use the blotting method to remove the fresh stain as much as possible.
- The best cleaning solution for this type of stain is the dishwashing detergent mixture. Apply and blot away.
- Don’t forget to rinse out the cleaning solution by spraying a little warm water, and blotting again.
- For fresh spills, pat gently with a dry white cloth to remove as much of the stain as you can.
- Soak a white cloth, white paper towel or cotton ball with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and use this to blot the stain.
- If the spot still does not completely come off, use the dishwashing detergent solution.
- As with other stains, spray with water to rinse and then continue to blot until the area is dry.
Carpet cleaning ideas to prolong your carpet’s life:
- To avoid stains becoming permanent, always attend to spills and spots immediately.
- Before applying any cleaning solution, test if the solution is safe and not damaging by trying it out on a small inconspicuous area of your carpet.
- Get a top quality pad, padding or cushion for your carpet.
- Have entrance mats or walk-off mats at the entry areas of your houses to stop dirt from being carried into your home.
- Vacuum your carpet every week. If you have kids or pets, vacuum at least twice per week.
- Move your furniture around to even out the weight on your carpet.
- Lessen your carpet’s exposure to direct sunlight with blinds and shades.
- Have your carpets professionally deep cleaned at least once a year.
Image credits: lozikiki